UKIP's Roger Helmer calls for privacy

UKIP MEP Roger Helmer has today called for "privacy" after being photographed entering a massage parlour.

The parliamentarian, who has claimed that extending marriage to same-sex couples "undermines" and demeans it, was reported as having visited the massage parlour by The Sun. Several other newspapers have since published the story.

Helmer has not denied that he has used the services at Victoria House - whose motto is "driving men wild since 1999" - but insists that "it’s not something I’m terribly keen for anyone to get any mileage out of. MEPs are entitled to a private life. I work extremely hard...I hope my constituents will agree people are entitled to enjoy their leisure time as they please."

Personally, I'm not overly worried what parliamentarians do in their time away from work. He is entitled to enjoy his leisure time as he pleases. However, as a moral crusader railing against the "undermining of marriage" I do wonder how married men making use of such facilities actually strengthens the institution he claims to care passionately for.

I also wonder if Mrs Helmer feels her marriage is more "undermined" by same-sex couples having the right to celebrate their love in legal union as it is her husband seeking out the services of Victoria House's scantily-clad masseuses? Obviously it's an issue between them, but I suspect she might have some words for him today.

It's certainly something I wouldn't try to make capital from...but I do find it interesting that Mr Helmer is so keen to argue that "everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life". That's VERY familiar - haven't I heard that somewhere before?

Indeed I have- it's a direct quote from Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

UKIP MEPs invoking the ECHR in self-defence - whatever next?

Comments